Thursday, April 16, 2009

Remember the Scrappy Pineapple?


I recently downloaded Picasa 3, a picture organizing software, onto my computer. Now, I am not a computer guru by any means but this is one software I may try to learn. Anyway, to get to my point.........

I ran across my Scrappy Pineapple from our very first Quilt Retreat Getaway Weekend in 2003 at Sugar Creek. I had forgotten how much I loved this quilt!

At the time of the 2003 retreat, I was also teaching a quite a few quilt classes. I made this quilt as an example of using scraps and also the value of colors. When you have a pattern that calls for lights, mediums and darks, the values are all relative to their neighboring fabrics and colors. None of the fabrics in the body of this quilt would be considered "dark" by most standards BUT in relationship to the other fabrics in the quilt they are dark.

It is fun to make a "neutral" quilt. My neutral bin of scrap fabrics is always so full I am lucky to be able to get the lid on it. We use so many neutrals in our quilts that we always have small pieces left over. Experiment; challenge yourself to make a quilt or small tabletopper with all neutrals.

1 comment:

Kim Brackett said...

Don't you love it when you see a quilt for the first time all over again? Your scrappy pineapple is so pretty!